Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day Four (Niisó)

After spending a day with our fourth graders at Boone and Crocket, we felt as if we were not able to connect well enough with our students. However, given the opportunity in the classroom we are able to fulfill their desire for structure and attention.

One of the fourth graders called me over today and had requested help in his English packet. I proceeded to his desk, asked how I could help and he responded with "I don't know". I was speechless... he did not know what he needed. The boy reiterated the phrase before I eventually said I needed to help other students. He pulled me back and told me not to leave like a child would do to his mother on the first day of kindergarten. The expression on his face told me he was not mentally present. Putting his head on his desk and his want for me to be in his presence was a sense of comfort for him. We both had a moment of realization. The fourth grader needed to feel the warmth of a hug, the recognition from a friend, and relief from someone knowing what's wrong.  He wanted comfort and I wanted to help. I was able to provide a sense of comfort or some type of support he was looking for.
-Gianna L.

Today while the students were working on Math problems, I was able to spend time helping the students. There was one student in particular that I really empathized with while working with her. Throughout the class, she had been doing fairly well on the problems, until question seven. A breakdown ensued and she started to cry. Instead of trying to work through them, she complained about how many problems there were. She went on to tell me how much she hated this class and how much stress it caused her. I began to offer her comforting words and tell her we would take our time and I'd walk her through it. While reluctant to even try at first, she ultimately did not give up. She complied with my instructions and started to understand the material. The brief smile that appeared on her face whenever she got a question right made my day and illustrated the impact that I was on this girl's day. 
 -Evan A.

There is a mix of students in the fourth grade, some are far ahead of the class, some are right where they need to be, and some are behind. Those should be the only three categorizes there are but unfortunately that is not the case. There are a few students who do not even know what they do not know, if that makes sense. Today in class the teacher had me and my fellow leaders teach a few lessons and then answer some questions, all the kids would put there hands in the air wanting to be picked but when called on few actually new the answers to the questions but you could tell they were trying. Then there were other kids who just had there head on the desk waiting for us to just give them the answers so they would not have to do any work. I think the real change in my mood came shortly after lunch time when we went in from recess, it was time for gym and a bunch of kids immediately grabbed a basketball. There is one girl though who was not into it and asked me to come back to the classroom and color with her. I went and she proceeded to tell me how she was moving away to Missoula and she was sad because she had to leave her best friend, family, and even culture behind. This was a huge eye opening experience for me. She is a fourth grader who appreciated her culture and doesn't want to leave. When arriving here I expected the students to be visibly poor and want to get out of this town which was only two generations out of the teepee and experience something new. I am now realizing that we are the ones who are poor. Although these students have behavioral issues, and some have parents who are not there for them they are loved, and they appreciate the beauty that surrounds them. This is not a learning experience for the kids, it is a learning experience for us and I am beyond glad I am here to enjoy it.
  -Kaleigh S.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your comments. You have some great insights! There are times when each of us too doesn't even know what to ask or to say. At those moments we just need someone to be present to us.
    BFred

    ReplyDelete